Bandipur national park is one of the most coveted national parks of India. A trip to the Bandipur national park would ensure that one gets to see the most amazing animal wealth of India. As we all know, the strength of various beasts of the animal kingdom is slowly and steadily reaching the brink of extinction. One can find a perfect ecological balance as well as a varied collection of endangered species in India, thanks to the presence of various national parks like the Bandipur national park.
The Bandipur national park
The Bandipur national park is stretched over an overall land area of 874 square kilometers. The Mudumalai National Park is located 320 kms away and the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary 344 kms away from the Bandipur National Park. Thus, the culmination of all these amazing wildlife sanctuaries makes the land of Karnataka the largest protected area in the South side of India.
The tiger reserve
The Bandipur National Park is very famous as being a reserved tiger reserve. The Bandipur national park is home to almost 70 to 80 Bengal tigers and more than three thousand rare Indian elephants. Bandipur is also the prestigious part of the highly important Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. Thus, the place is a haven for all the animal lovers, environment savers, nature lovers as well as wildlife photographers.
The visitors to the Bandipur national park can find a plethora and variety of animal species roaming freely in the dense enclosures. A rare sight to behold indeed! Let us categorize the many mammals found here:
- mammoth animals like Asian elephants
- Jungle Cats
- the Indian Palm Squirrel
- Common Palm Civet
- Golden Jackal
- Rusty-spotted Cat
- Indian Porcupine
- Golden Jackal
- The Indian Grey Mongoose.
The many birds that can be easily spotted are some of the rare birds like:
- Grey Jungle Fowl
- Hawk Eagle
- Serpent Eagle
- the yellow-legged Green Pigeon
- Honey Buzzards
- The Hill Mynas
How to reach from Bangalore?
Bangalore International Airport is the nearest and the major airport nearby. Bangalore is located just about 215 kms away from Bandipur and thus getting to Bandipur via Bangalore is a good option.
Activities to indulge in
There are many things that one can indulge in Bandipur, like say for example, exploring the city itself. Some of the options are:
- Gypsy Ride: one can indulge in exciting gypsy rides that are arranged by many local resorts located around the Bandipur National Park. These come for a nominal charge but are a whole lot of fun, especially for family groups, with lots of children, etc.
- Bus Safari: there are many unique bus safaris that are organized by some forest officials in the Bandipur National Park. The major advantage is faster mobility inside the park. These safaris are for about half an hour or one hour and one will be taken inside the park in a bus. The charges for Indians and foreigners are different.
- Jeep Ride: another interesting option is the jeep rides. One can go for a safari inside the Bandipur National Park in a top up, open top jeep. The experience is really wonderful, because one can visit the intricate sections of the national park, and explore the place better. However, one would have to shell out a bit more for jeep safaris.
- Elephant Safari: elephant safaris are the most exciting way of enjoying a safari. These rides are however available for kids and adults, but the costing is relatively nominal. One may have a gala time atop an elephant and get a great view of the park, but these safaris cover only a small section of the parks.
Bandipur Trekking : Short treks can be organized outside the forest too but it is banned in most of placesby forest department.
Best time to visit
The very best and apt season to visit the Bandipur national park is from the months of October to May. In these months the park looks very attractive because the animals move about freely and one can see them in groups, large flocks as well as individually.
Thrillophilia- Adventure Travel India is one company which organizes such adventure trips across India. Get in touch.